If this tank has not been refilled in a long time, there are two things to check... Does it have a triangular knob on the valve? That indicates that the valve is equipped with the MANDATORY overfill prevention device (OPD). Also look for a manufacturing date stamped on the tank indicating it's age. Over 12 years, or without the overfill prevention, it is illegal to fill the tank.

Bill Bina