The purpose of spreader lights is to light up the deck at night, as when
doing things like reefing the main. I also use mine to light up the deck
when at the dock and taking aboard passengers or loading/unloading gear. My
"spreader" lights are Forespar lights that attach to the mast instead of
under the spreaders. I believe they were originally 10 watt lights, but I've
replaced the incandescent bulbs with LEDs that produce about the same level
of light.

I also have a combination foredeck and steaming light mounted higher on the
front of the mast. The foredeck light gets used when working on the foredeck
to set or retrieve the anchor or to rig/douse the asymmetrical spinnaker.
IIRC it was 20 watts and has also  been changed to an LED with a  reflector.
Gives bright work light on the foredeck, but pretty useless for lighting the
side decks and further aft, and has no value whatsoever when at the dock.

I did discover another use for the foredeck light one night on a friend's
boat when his steaming light was out. The foredeck light reflected pretty
strongly off the top of his radar dome, and lit up the headsail when motor
sailing. SO we ran it as a temporary substitute for the inop steaming light.

Rick Brass
Washington, NC