Mike — IF your charger is set up completely correct as far as the charging
regimen for the batteries you’ve got, and IF  your batteries are in good shape
and have the proper level of electrolyte, then you could probably leave the
charger on all the time.  It should go into “float” charging mode after the
batteries are topped off.  If, however, there are any issues with any of the
above, you might cook off your electrolyte and kill your batteries.

If you’ve got DC refrigeration (you and I don’t…), that should pull enough
current to keep the batteries from getting over-charged.

In my case, the only DC current draw my system has got when away from the boat
comes from the bilge pump, and the “stay-alive” lead to the stereo; not enough
to seriously deplete the batteries when I’m away.  So I leave the charger off
for safety (although it IS set up properly for my batteries).

Fred Street -- Minneapolis