I used to leave the shore power/battery charger on all the time to keep the
batteries topped off and to make up for occassional bilge pump cycling.

Then one day I got to the boat and the bilge pump was not working and the
batteries were dead. It likely had been on for some time since the pump switch
failed IIRC.

This caused the charger to be on continually which it did not like (True Charge
40?). If fact it smoked a resister in the charger,
which was evident by the black burn mark on it that I could see. Thanks to that
and the bad float switch, the batteries were dead.

If the charger had not failed (perhaps it was designed that way), the charger
may have caught on fire, along with the boat.

I have NEVER left the charger on when I am away from the boat, except for a day
or two, since that happened.

Getting to the boat with drained batteries is a minor inconvenience--getting a
call from the fire department could ruin your whole day!

Charlie Nelson
Water Phantom
C&C 36 XL/kcb

cenel...@aol.com