Had a catastrophic failure of my Harken roller furler today.

Last 3 times out the furler has been sticking a bit - thought it got better with tightening my backstay, but then same problem again. Dropped the jib - furler spun freely with no sail so I figured I was catching something up top. Re-taped halyard and ran the jib back up to test - stuck again part way out then all of a sudden it was raining small bearings!!!! - And no I didn't reef on it or winch it - I was just tugging it looking to see where is was catching and it let go. Sail dropped with half the top furling mechanism - left the halyard up top with the other half of the mechanism.

I've not gone up the mast yet to rescue the remaining parts and halyard - but I'm pretty sure that there was a top spring clip that let go - when it popped out the whole top swivel set just sprayed everywhere. I rescued a few of the bearings - light brown, plastic, 3/8" (9.58mm) -- I think all the other parts ring the furler and therefore can't disappear.

So the big question - can I buy new bearings and a spring clip and rebuild the swivel in place (assuming that it was the spring clip that failed). I'm hoping I don't need to kick for a whole new furler. Replacing the whole top swivel would be a pain as I'd have to dismantle the furler and the forestay to get the old one off and replaced.

Sorry I didn't get any pic's - was dark on return to the dock and I forgot.

Still had a great sail today - left the dock at 11:30am --- back to the dock at 11pm. First time coming back in the dark! Stars out, phosphorecent sparkles in the water. And a clean docking!

Mark

--

There is no cure for birth and death save to enjoy the interval.
  - George Santayana