>Dropped the jib - furler spun freely with no sail so I figured I was catching
>something up top.  Re-taped halyard and ran the jib back up to test - stuck
>again part way out then all of a sudden it was raining small bearings...

Any chance a wrapped halyard put enough pressure on the top spring clip?

Calypso's Harken furler would act like it was jammed when the halyard used to
occasionally wrap around the top of the extrusion.  I adjusted the sail hoist
slightly to shorten the amount of exposed halyard and eliminated the wrap
issues.

Martin DeYoung
Calypso
1971 C&C 43