<re-sending in plain text - sorry for the new-user thrash!>

Thanks for all the great info!

I've looked under the settees and v-berth; it all looks clean and dry,
no signs of rot, hoses and fittings all look "recent" (actually,
throughout the boat, plumbing looks to be in very good shape)

All the tabbing that I can get to without tools looks great.  If I go
forward with this boat, it'll get a full survey and the tabbing,
keel-hull joint and through-hulls are high on the list of things I'll
want the surveyor to inspect.

It sounds like the only core in the hull is above the waterline.  If so,
that's good news.  I had read (somewhere? maybe an owner's manual?) that
C&C recommends removing the core for an inch around the hole and filling
with epoxy putty when installing a thru-hull, so I presumed that the
core was in place throughout the hull.  Which wouldn't be uncommon in a
late-70s/early-80s build.  I'll find out for-sure when out of the water.

I think my two "big" concerns are the mast base and mast step, and some
of the deck fittings.  There's corrosion at the bottom of the mast, and
if it is simply surface corrosion that's no big deal.   If it can be
remediated by pulling the rig and cutting off the bottom 1/4" of the
extrusion, that's probably OK.  If it extends farther up and/or has the
potential to compromise the rig, that's a deal-breaker.

And... previous owner sorta got "creative" with some deck hardware.
Installed a solent-stay that dead-ends in a pad-eye just behind the aft
edge of the anchor locker.  It does not appear to have a backing plate,
and I don't have a diagram that shows where the solid/reinforced areas
of the deck are, so I'm very curious about how strong/well-installed
that pad-eye is.  Similarly, there's a windlass mounted on deck just aft
of the anchor-locker, and reinforced on the underside with simple
flat-washers rather than a backing plate.  Again, curious about whether
it is a reinforced area of the deck, or potentially doing damage to the
core.

Engine has ~3200 hours on it, maintenance records seem to indicate it
has been thoughtfully maintained, and the [original] engine mounts seem
to be okay - didn't note any vibration or hopping while at idle.

Much to think about - thanks for all the great insights!
Bruce