The VHB tape supplies the structural strength, while the Dow 795 is the
sealant. At least that is the information I was able to get.
    Doug MountjoysvPegasusLF38 just west of Ballard, WA.

------ Original message------From: Frederick G Street via CnC-ListDate: Wed,
Oct 21, 2015 15:29To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com;Cc: Frederick G Street;Subject:Re:
Stus-List Strengths of Various Adhesives
>From this, it sure looks like Plexus is the best structural option; 5200 would
>be next, but it’s not compatible with acrylic.  I’m surprised that LifeSeal
>shows such good characteristics.  VHB tape, 4200 and Sika are all in about the
>same range.  Looking at a cut sheet for Dow 795 (which you didn’t include
>here, but has been used with VHB tape), it’s not really providing much in the
>way of strength, with a >21 days cure tension adhesion strength of 45psi.
I thought the Dow 795 had greater structural characteristics than the cut sheet
shows: http://www.dowcorning.com/DataFiles/090276fe801a7bbe.pdf

— Fred

Fred Street -- Minneapolis
S/V Oceanis (1979 C&C Landfall 38) -- on the hard in Bayfield, WI   :^(
On Oct 21, 2015, at 3:40 PM, Dennis C. via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:
I did a bit of quick research on adhesives.  My quick look and the terminology
may lead to inaccuracies.  I am not a materials engineer.  For instance, shear
strength numbers were either listed as shear strength or lap shear strength,
then there is dynamic vs static whatever.  Please take the info with a LARGE
grain of salt.

I listed the references so you can look them up yourself.

This may interest some.

MaterialStatic or Lap Shear strength, psiTensile strength, psiReference

Plexus
MA5301600-22003000-3500http://www.rshughes.com/p/Plexus-MA530-Black-Methacrylate-Adhesive-50-Gal-Drum-Shear-Strength-1600-To-2200-Psi-Tensile-Strength-3000-To-3500-Psi/plexus_it206/Sika

n/a160https://www.google.com/search?q=sika+295uv+shear+strength&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-83M
 5200360
(fiberglass)630-705http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/158782O/adhesive-sealant-5200-tech-data.pdf3M

420020-165180http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/891179O/3m-marine-fast-cure-general-purpose-adhesive-sealant-4200fc.pdfLifeSeal240290http://www.boatlife.com/content/NEED%20LifeSealR%20POLYURETHANE-SILICONE%20SEALANT.pdf3M
 VHB tape
59XX100090-100https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/67100O/3mtm-vhb-tapes.pdf
Dennis C.