When I replaced my portlights this spring I had planned to follow Don Casey's
article but ended up not using the VHB.

I have had good experience with VHB on a residential installation of steel
panels as a surround for a gas fireplace. The VHB is bonding mild steel to
painted drywall in this case and performs very well considering the temperature
variation. So I like it and what it is capable of.

When it came to the portlights, I had read that the expansion of the acrylic
relative to the fibreglass is what causes the bond to fail, or could cause
crazing/cracks in the acrylic. To get enough movement/flex out of the adhesive
(or tape) it should be 3/16" to 1/4" thick between the fibreglass and acrylic.
My portlights are approximately 60"x8" btw. I couldn't source the thicker VHB
in Toronto, aside from a couple other concerns. The Casey article mentions
backpainting the acrylic to hide the typically grey colour VHB. I became
worried that the paint used then becomes the bonding surface which I can't
really prove sticks as well to the acrylic. There was also a worry that the
chemicals in the paint could etch and/or cause crazing in the acrylic -even the
data sheet for Krylon Fusion had things that attack acrylic in it. I decided it
might be best not to risk using the paint and just double up the thinner VHB
that I could source locally. I then got to worrying that the VHB might not be
UV stable behind the acrylic... and I didn't want to repeat this task for a
while.

Finally, I picked up a case of Dow 795, since that was all I could find around
here for quantity. I had read that you could install screws into the window
recess to act as spacers for the 795, giving enough gap to allow the silicone
to flex with the acrylic. I was concerned that the screws would be visible
which didn't seem so great. I thought about the spacers that glass installers
use for shower surrounds and mirrors and then thought about making spacers with
the 795 itself. I spoke with a tech rep at Dow and he confirmed that unlike
typical run of the mill silicone, 795 would in fact stick to itself. So I
gooped lines of 795 on some scrap plastic, waited a week for it to cure, and
cut it into little tiny bricks about 3/16"x3/16"x1". I did a tiny blob of 795
behind these in the window recess with the spacers every 8" or so and then
applied lots of 795 to bond the acrylic. I also sanded the bonding surface of
the acrylic with 220 and wiped with isopropyl alcohol to clean. In retrospect,
it would have been good to let the spacers cure before doing the acrylic since
some of them shifted around during installation. To hold the acrylic in place,
I made an MDF piece slightly smaller than the acrylic with plywood blocking
screwed into it every 10". I clamped a 2x4 to the stanchions and with more
plywood blocks, screwed everything together to apply the curvature to the
acrylic and provide even pressure across the whole thing. I let the 795 cure
for 10 days or so since it is very slow.

My other worry with the acrylic was that an edge flaw could cause crazing, so I
ended up band sawing the shape within 1/8" of the original, trim routing it
flush with the original and then sanding from 80 up to 2000 grit to polish the
edge. I also did a 1/8" chamfer on the outside since I thought it would look
nice.

They were installed this spring and have been great this summer. I think the
real test will be surviving a Canadian winter and seeing how things look next
fall.

Derek McLeod
1983 29-2, Aileron
Toronto