One night we had rowed our inflatable dinghy to a neighboring boat for
dinner.  During dinner the wind came up.  Our boat owner friend towed us
back to our boat with his dinghy with 2.5 hp Tohatsu.  It was a little bit
of a struggle but the little Tohatsu did the job.

I have a used 80's Evinrude 7.5 that will plane my 9'4" dinghy.  However,
if I was buying a new one, I'd definitely go much smaller.  I think a
2.2-2.5 hp would be fine.

The last 3-4 years I haven't even put the OB on the dink, preferring
instead to row and avoid the hassle of installing/removing the heavy OB.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA