From: "David Knecht via CnC-List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
To: "CnC CnC discussion list" <CnC-List@cnc-list.com>
Cc: "David Knecht" <davidakne...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 12:32:56 PM
Subject: Stus-List Oil leak in M4-30

I moved my boat to its winter home yesterday and then tried to change to oil
after I arrived. I had no issues along the way- engine stayed cool and ran
smoothly. However, I got almost no oil out of the pan and the dipstick showed
it was below the low point. I am thankful that this did not destroy my engine
but now have to figure out what to do. I noticed some oil in the bilge in the
spring so cleaned up and put 2 oil absorbing sheets in the space under the
engine and one in the bilge. My boat came from the PO with a hose attached to
the oil pan drain plug so I could remove the cap from the hose and run a thin
tube into the hose to suck the oil out. I thought that I had not tightened the
drain plug under the oil pan when I changed the oil last year and thought that
was the cause of the leak. The pads under the engine now have oil in them and I
added a quart of oil to the engine a month ago when I checked and it was low.
It is still possible that the drain is the source of the leak, but the leak is
slow enough that I am having trouble verifying the actual site. Has anyone had
this problem with a Universal M4-30 or similar engine? Of course I am concerned
that I might be burning the oil, but the pads underneath with oil in them leads
me to think it is a leak. Still, I am not sure I can account for several
missing quarts of oil in the pads. Dave

Aries
1990 C&C 34+
New London, CT