David
I do exactly that on my M4-30. I use a small impeller drill pump.  First I
take the cap off the drain hose and feed the hose down lower towards the
base of the oil sump and then forward as far as it will reach to where I
attach the inlet hose to the drill pump directly to that drain hose, a snug
friction fit that holds the vacuum created by the drill pump, about 1/2
inch inside diameter hose to the pump. I put the outlet hose from the pump
into a 4 liter plastic used oil container.  ...always run the engine first
for several minutes to warm the oil which makes it flow easier...works real
good and before removing the filter I make a drain tray by shaping several
layers of old newspaper to fit neatly like a catch basin below the filter
to catch the oil that always escapes when the filter is removed.  That
newspaper catch tray and a few strategically placed rags effectively
catches the black used oil mess before it contaminates the bilge when
removing the filter and that makes for a neat clean oil change.  I also
cover the cabin sole with newspaper in the areas close to where I am
working just in case of spills and there always seem to be a few drops that
escape regardless of how careful I am with disconnecting and packing up my
drill pump gear for next time, and all that gear gets wrapped in old rags
and newspaper and stored double bag in plastic until next time.  I have
been doing my oil changes this way for years with the same gear and I think
I have pretty much perfected the process on my boat.

Dwight Veinot
C&C 35 MKII, *Alianna*
Head of St. Margaret's Bay, NS
d.ve...@bellaliant.net