Mike said "Ablatives can generally be applied over hard paints."

That's the way it turned out but that was not what Interlux tech support advised me. I bought the Micron CSC at the Binnacle...asked them the same question....they advised to remove the VC 17.

Difference experiences at different times, I guess.

Would the inside of the Kirby have been 'gelcoat'? It would have already had some kind of paint on it from the Mirage factory but it was pretty grungy before the paint job.

Rob

On 2015-11-18 1:58 PM, Hoyt, Mike via CnC-List wrote:
Bob

Ablatives can generally be applied over hard paints.  I have contacted Interlux
support many times and have always been given this answer.  Most recently I
enquired if I could apply Micron 66 over Petit Vivid and was told that I could
after a light sanding of the Vivid.  Results were good as I expected.  I have
alos applied Ablatives over VC 17 and Micron CSC over VC Offshore.

The reverse is however not true.  No hard paints can be applied over ablatives.

The Brightsides data sheet states that it can be applied directly over gelcoat.
 I also contacted tech support about Interdeck (same as Brightsides) and this
was confirmed.  Over raw fiberglass or epoxy it is recommended a primer be
used.  Such as when recoring a section of deck.

I love Brightsides.  Very easy to use, nice looking and relatively cheap.

Mike