Ahmet,

Symptoms?.... Kaboom!

During the charging process the same electrical current that is used to
charge the batteries also tears the chemical bonds in the water molecules
apart.  This is know as electrolysis.  The result is hydrogen and oxygen
gas.  All lead acid batteries are subject to this.  This is the reason that
water needs added periodically.  Overcharging and using excessive current
will increase the amount of electrolysis occurring.

My opinion is that the amount of explosive gas being generated is
relatively insignificant and our boats are not air tight enough to allow
gasses to accumulate.  Hydrogen is also different from propane and gasoline
fumes in that hydrogen is lighter than air and will not accumulate in the
low points of the bilge.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+