I forgot to mention one thing that might be related to the zinc problem.
Mid-season, I hit a rock while racing. When the boat was pulled, the lead was
exposed in an area of about 10 square inches.  Could that cause zinc corrosion?
 I can see that could create current to the keel bolts, but how would it get
from there to the zincs?  Dave

On Dec 24, 2015, at 12:21 PM, Russ & Melody via CnC-List
<cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Normally zinc decay over the course of a year is attributed to galvanic
> corrosion, whereas stray current corrosion can happen rapidly and be very
> destructive. A change in Galvanic decay is usually associated with a change
> in underwater metals (new prop maybe) or area salinity.
>
> Having said that... I suggest a review of these two primers and then inspect
> your bilge pump wiring very thoroughly looking for the slightest of corrosion
> and replace anything in the damp area that is suspect and NO JOINTS BELOW THE
> SOLE, please.
>
> http://www.pcmarinesurveys.com/AC%20DC%20electrolysis.htm
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3VBBml2J0I
>
>         Cheers and Merry Christmas to all, Russ
>         Sweet 35 mk-1
>

> At 08:47 AM 24/12/2015, you wrote:
>> When my boat was pulled from the water this year I was surprised to find
>> that the Max-prop zinc was gone, one of the shaft zincs was gone and the
>> other was nearly gone.  I have had this configuration in past years and
>> every other year at the end of the season I could barely justify replacing
>> them because there was so little metal decay.  I know of nothing I did
>> differently this year.  I am on a mooring so rarely plugged into shore
>> power.  What would cause a dramatic increase in zinc decay?  Thanks and
>> Happy Holidays to all!  Dave
>>
>> Aries
>> 1990 C&C 34+
>> New London, CT