From: Josh Muckley via CnC-List
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2016 6:17 PM
To: C&C List
Cc: Josh Muckley
Subject: Re: Stus-List C&C 26 Encounter sail question

Evan,
I'm answering your questions generally since I don't own a 26 Encounter.
First, how old is you current 145?  A blown out headsail can contribute
significantly to the amount of heel.
Second, when you race do you plan to have "rail meat"?  Even just one or two
people can significantly improve heel and pointing ability.
Third, have you looked at the local PHRF handicaps?  Most areas give extra
points for furlers but take away for larger sails.  You want to find the
balance.
Forth, have you talked to a sail loft?  Local is preferred.  A local loft can
give tremendously valuable guidance on optimal sail size, PHRF handicaps, and a
good balance between having a new sail made or an old one re-cut.  When I
installed a furler on my McGregor 26C, it was going to cost me ~$600 IIRC to
have my old sail re-cut or $1200 for a new sail.   $600 for an old blown out
155 to be re-cut seemed too high.
Hope that gives you some things to consider.
Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD