Petar

This link shows a recoring project on our former boat
http://users.eastlink.ca/~mhoyt/Projects/recore/recore.htm

Initially we had 4 stanchions that had cracked deck (not just gelcoat) at the
stanchion bases.  The first year I recored these four areas only.  The link
above details that job.  The following year I had a surveyor check out the
entire deck and hull for moisture.  We noted the wet areas (all on the decks)
and replaced the core in all remaining wet areas except the cockpit seats (done
another year).  This project involved replacing the core under the genoa tracks
and also under the primary winches among the 14 areas of problem.

When I replace core material I never save the top skin.  However I do know a
lot of people do and that is your option.  Most of the wet areas on a deck are
in non skid areas so it is very easy to rebuild your own top skin and I find
that process a whole lot simpler.  This is my preference but not necessarily
better nor worse than keeping the top skin and reusing.  The two benefits of
not reusing top skin are 1. It is more work to remove the top skin than to
discard it and 2. You may get air voids under the replaced top skin if not done
well.  The benefits of retaining the top skin are that you have the contours of
the deck area saved.  This is nice on a coach roof for example

When I start removing the core I normally drill some pilot holes to determine
how far the wetness and the rot extends.  Typically the rot is localized but
the moisture travels quite far.  I cut out the area that I know is wet and then
if I am still in wet core I continue removing until I get to dry core.  Note
that wet core is not soft.  Rotten core is soft.  Wet balsa can actually still
adhere quite well to the bottom and top skin and be strong.  However why would
you leave it?  It is not much more work to replace core in a 1 x 4 ft section
of deck than it is a 6” by 2 ft section.

For an idea of the labour involved compare to a bottom job.  Nut Case our J27
took 50 hours to strip the bottom to gel coat (by hand), apply barrier coat and
then antifoul.  By comparison was only 30 hours to replace four sections of
core material that same year.

Note that I have done this job using polyester resins (large areas and cost) as
well as epoxy.

If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask.

Mike