Hi Richard,

We do mostly day sailing from up on the Hudson down the NJ coast - no serious
cruising or offshore stuff.  FWIW... I love my little Lowrance unit.  I was
originally drawn to the Lowrance name because my grandfather had Lowrance
navigation equipment in his old Piper Dakota.

You might want something bigger with more bells and whistles, but I like the
simplicity of my little Elite 4.  The one thing I might do if I was buying now
is get a Lowrance model with a larger screen.  Ours is very bright, but no more
than 5"x3".

We have an Elite 4 without a depth transducer.  It was an absolute steal
price-wise (I think it was under $170).  It has a bright color screen and it's
easy to read.  You can upgrade to full Navionics charts with a little SD card
for around $120 at WestMarine if I remember correctly.  The unit comes with a
more basic chart set already installed.

I also have the Navionics apps on my iphone and ipad as backups, as well as
paper charts, of course.

I've heard people complain about customer service with Lowrance, but I've never
had to call as my unit has always worked.  Build quality seems great and I find
the menus easy to use.

Again, you may be looking for something with more bells and whistles... If so
I'd look at Lowrance's higher end models.  I've heard the new Garmin units are
great as well, but I've never owned one. Hope this helps a little.

All the best,
Ryan

Sent from my iPhone