Some of the transmissions are oil bath, and some share the oil with the engine.
If that oil is one of the newer oils it may have friction modifiers in it which
can
be too slippery. When first going into reverse the symptom is poor power and
excess force on the "gear" shifter.

I have an atomic 4 and a straight ( non-V ) Paragon. Reverse operates by
clamping
a band around the planetary gear hub. The clamping is performed by pulling a
wedge shaped bar in a slot. There is no locking mechanism to hold the bar in
place
but after I switched oils the friction in the cable ( which is brand new ) is
enough.

Initially I had to pull continuously on reverse to back out of the slip, and it
seemed
that there was little power for 2 - 8 boat lengths. Then everything was good.

I switched to Castrol Grand Prix Motorcycle - Four Stroke that is advertised as
being wet clutch compatible.

http://answers.canadiantire.ca/answers/9045/product/0281826P/castrol-castrol-grand-prix-motorcycle-four-stroke-questions-answers/questions.htm

After the second oil change the difference was significant. I can pull up into
reverse, no need to hold it, and there is full power in about 1/2 boat length.

Also. lots of prop walk now ;-)

Michael Brown
Windburn
C&C 30-1