Yes it is possible to start the GM line with a handle.  It is a special
design which drives a set of gears on the front of the engine, not the
flywheel directly.  You need to have the decompression levers held in order
to get the inertia then quickly release the lever while still cranking.
The design of the crank kicks the handle off once the engine starts.

FYI: Load testing is a little different than capacity testing.  A good deep
cycle such as yours may or may not test properly on a "load tester" but
will pass a capacity test just fine.  To perform a proper capacity test you
need a regulated load with a constant current draw.  Most batteries are
rated at a c/20 current rate.  So a 100 Ah battery would be tested at 5
amps.  You stop the test at  11.6v and determine the cumulative Ahrs
consumed.  Double it and compare to the rated capacity.  A relatively
inexpensive device for doing this is:

http://www.westmountainradio.com/cba.php

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk