Just an update, if anyone is wondering.
As you may know, I require a cutlass bearing of 1 1/4 x 1 5/8, an oddball
size.
I called a prop shop in Baltimore, they wanted $155 to supply a bearing
that was machined down from 1 3/4 to 1 5/8
The lignum Vitae bearing turns out it would be $120 plus shipping.
I ordered a bearing of the size I needed from the UK, a website called
seaware (thanks to a fellow sailor here for the information, Michael I
think?), shipped it will be $104 USD

Next step will be to align the shaft and engine. My plan is to use shaft
packing to support the shaft in the stuffing tube during the alignment,
since I have a dripless packing setup. Preliminary measurement of my
stuffing tube indicates a size of 1.85", which may present a problem.
Defender catalog lists standard tube sizes of 1.5, 1.75, 2, but not 1.85.
1/4" packing is probably too small, and 5/16 may be too big.

--
Brian Fry
S/V La Neige