Brian Fry via CnC-List wrote:

As the heading says my new bearing has arrived. It slid right in with minimal resistance. It is also 1/2 inch too long. Is any of this an issue.
Should I cut it down to fit?
Do I need to add some sort of glue or epoxy? Or will the two set screws be enough? Here is a link to my blog where there is a pic.

https://m.facebook.com/The-Next-14-Years-1011224262273851/

https://m.facebook.com/The-Next-14-Years-1011224262273851/

Brian Fry
la Neige
37/40xl 1993
Havre de Grace

Brian,

I've seen machinists in the mill working on shafts that were slightly undersized. Their trick was to run a dull, rounded tool down the length of the shaft as the lathe was slowly turning. They didn't remove any steel. They just created a small groove and a greater diameter on each side of the groove. I'm sure that if you took your bearing to a machine shop that they would be aware of the trick. When I changed my bearing I cut it to the proper length on my lathe.

Bill
Caprice 1