Guilty as charged.  Maybe Infamously would be more appropriate.

I think we tend to feel that we have to fix these boats to factory standards
when we get them, but in reality as they get older, they get more customized,
which is not a bad thing. I don’t think anyone would want to replace  their
traveler with an original Schaffer Traveler when you could have a nice Harken
instead –

Back in the early eighties I was re-doing C&C rudders locally for a number of
models, as it became widely understood that more control was needed, and they
were modified to be less wide but deeper. By that, I mean just taking the
original rudders, and cutting the framework off and welding new foils on,
narrower and deeper, nothing else on my part. Interestingly, my father was
sailing on a C&C 39 at the time, owned by an even older curmudgeon (my dad was
NOT a curmudgeon)  who was in the market for a new rudder.  I offered to my dad
that I would do Mearl’s  for free, and he declined, saying that “if anything at
all was not right, he would never hear the end of it.”   Fast forward 18 years,
I am now the owner of that very same 39, hauling it out in October to find I
was missing nearly half that rudder that had been rebuilt at Bruckman’s.  I
rebuilt it in 14 Gauge SS skin and moved the shaft back 2 ½” for better
balance. A few years later I removed it and cut the corners off and made it
elliptical, just because in my mind it seemed a less turbulent shape.  It is
completely neutral in weight.  On  high to low reaches I can take my hands off
and it sails itself.  And sorry,  no, I am not interested in making any, just
mentioning this as another option. In my mind, an epoxy (or Polyester) to SS
joint is eventually going to leak, they just do not stick to each other very
well.

Another on/off lister from Toronto/BC had Bob Perry do him a design for a 39
which looked sweet.  That rudder snapped off at the exit point,  (no reflection
on Perry) so there is no need in my mentioning who fabricated that one.

Bill Coleman

C&C 39 Erie, PA