Hey everyone,

I am in the home stretch of re-wiring my entire boat.  The wiring was in
frightening shape when I bought it back in October - much of it was
corroded and probably original, and there were numerous "bad fixes" that I
didn't like the looks of.  So, I ripped it all out and started anew with a
whole bunch of Ancor marine wire, a BlueSea panel, BlueSea fuse blocks, and
went about re-wiring.

All negative wires connect back to the nut at the back of my A4 motor,
which is also connected to my battery negatives.  All good.

However, there is one large gauge (maybe 10 gauge?) old wire going from the
nut on the back of my A4 to a nut attached to a metal plate that is
attached to the outside of the hull.  This metal plate is located slightly
forward and to starboard of the front of the A4.  Another wire coming from
the nut over this metal plate is also connected to a keel bolt.

I don't see this plate or wire on the original C&C wiring diagram for the
boat.  And from what I know, having more than one negative point outside
the hull will create a ground loop.

Any thoughts on why someone did this?

Thanks,
Ryan