Thanks Fred,

I know that 60hz hum and its harmonic brethren all too well - I used to be
in a very loud rock band that used excessive gain to cover up terrible
guitar playing...

Regarding putting in a bus bar instead of connecting everything to the
engine:  For the sake of brevity I didn't explain that I have most negative
wires going to what I think is the original terminal block - it's basically
just two bolts (one for + and one -) set in a piece of plastic.  The
negative from that then goes to the motor nut.

I cleaned the old terminal block up, and it conducts well, but, it's
probably not a bad idea to just get two new Blue Sea terminal blocks.

greatly appreciated!