The "switch"  is a circuit breaker on the output side of the 1-ALL-2 switch.

Turning of the key can cause destructive inductive kick to reverse bias the
rectifying diodes in the alternator.  Cheap low power alternators are more
likely to experience diode destruction.  You also get a bigger kick when
the alternator is closer to full output.  With the batteries full charged
and the engine at low idle you are less likely to see any problems.
Upgraded alternators like a most Balmers have high quality diodes and are
even less likely to be damaged.

The effects of burnt diodes would be no alternator output.  Basically....
you'll know.  Its kinda like slamming the boat in and out of gear.  It
might not break any one time but eventually... you'll know.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD
On Apr 10, 2016 9:10 AM, "David Knecht via CnC-List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:

> A followup on Josh’s post:
>
> 1. A couple of times I have accidentally turned the key switch off while
> the engine was running and my brain was elsewhere.  I immediately turned it
> back on again.  I have noticed any problems resulting from this, but I
> don’t know what the symptoms would be if I had damaged something.
>
> 2.  In addition to the rotary 1, 2, All rotary, I also have a on/off
> toggle switch next to the rotary that must be also turned on.  I don’t know
> what is wired to it, so does anyone know what is likely to be the purpose
> of that switch?  My previous boat only had the rotary.  Thanks- Dave
>
> On Apr 6, 2016, at 3:56 PM, Josh Muckley via CnC-List <
> cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>
> It is safe to switch between 1-ALL-2 as long as everything is working as
> designed.  You also have to be very careful not to accidentally overshoot
> to the off position.  What isn't safe is turning the ignition switch to off
> while the engine is running, or as mentioned turning the batt switch to off
> while the engine is running.
>
> The only concern about mixed types of batteries is various chemistries.  A
> leaf acid starting battery and a lead acid deap cycle battery are the same
> chemistry so you're fine.
>
> Josh Muckley
> S/V Sea Hawk
> 1989 C&C 37+
> Solomons, MD
> On Apr 6, 2016 3:48 PM, "Bruce Pope via CnC-List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
> wrote:
>

> Aries
> 1990 C&C 34+
> New London, CT

> like what we do, please help us pay for our costs by donating. All
> Contributions are greatly appreciated!

greatly appreciated!