I'd agree go with the joker valve replacement.
It won't be that messy if you pump a gallon or so of water through. Anything that runs back will be mostly water plus a bit
of contaminates from the hose walls.

On 4/20/2016 9:56 PM, Jake Brodersen via CnC-List wrote:

Sam,

Perhaps you only need a new joker valve. They’re pretty reasonable, compared to the price of a new head.

Jake

*Jake Brodersen*

*C&C 35 Mk-III “Midnight Mistress”*

*Hampton VA*

*From:*CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] *On Behalf Of *Sam Wheeler via CnC-List
*Sent:* Wednesday, April 20, 2016 13:50
*To:* cnc-list@cnc-list.com
*Cc:* Sam Wheeler <samwheeler.s...@gmail.com>
*Subject:* Stus-List Considering Head Replacement on 35 mk III

Hi all,

My boat came with an old-looking Wilcox Crittenden Headmate head that is currently back-filling after I pump it dry. It looks like a rebuild kit will run me $70 to $80. On the other hand, a new West Marine-brand head (link <http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--compact-manual-head--14974265>) is only $200. I'm inclined to pay that different to avoid a messy job and start from scratch with a clean head.

It seems well reviewed but does anyone have experience with that model or other reasons why I shouldn't go with it?

Thanks,

Sam

greatly appreciated!

--