Doing repairs to the gelcoat REQUIRES removal of the polyglow.  Polyglow
can get stained and will dull over time.  I don't think you can apply wax
so the only way to improve the finish is to re-apply polyglow.  If it was
dirty then you now have a shiney dirty boat.  As someone else eluded,
gelcoat is easier to restore, polish, and wax, and maintain that shine.

In defense of polyglow:  It does have UV inhibitors and will shine up
nicely without removing ANY of the gelcoat.  Whereas the act of polishing
gelcoat, IS slowly wearing away the gelcoat.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD