  From: Andrew Means via CnC-List
  To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
  Cc: Andrew Means
  Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2016 12:25
  Subject: Stus-List intermitent vibration/shudder in ocean swells

  Hey all -

  My friends and I are currently in Tofino, BC on day 6 of a much needed
vacation. So far our Yanmar GM30F and 3-bladed max-prop have been performing
brilliantly, sipping diesel and pushing the boat through the less-windy
sections of Strait of Juan De Fuca and up and over some large ocean swells on
our way up to Tofino.

  Yesterday on the way up from Ucluelet I felt a shudder/vibration as the boat
crested a swell. It was short but pronounced. The motor didn’t change RPM at
all or seem under load. About 10 minutes later it happened again, also over a
swell. This time we had to lower the RPM of the engine and let it idle - when
we brought it back up it was smooth again. This happened maybe 6 times over the
course of the passage, always starting as we were at the top of a swell.

  We’d been going through swells at the same angle under power the day before
with no trouble, the only difference this time was that the little wind there
was was behind us.

  The only thing I can think of is that one of the blades of the max prop is
feathering as we go over these swells. I have no idea how one would fix that -
or if there’s any way to do so without hauling the boat out (hoping to avoid
that mid-trip…)

  Any ideas?

  --
  Andrew Means