Hi Tom,

  a similar situation happened to us a few years ago. We solved it by attaching
the lower hole on the stainless strap to the bottom of the mast and bringing
them closer (1/2 inch in our case) using a home depot bought turnbuckle. It
worked, but the approach felt wrong.

  I was under the impression that the correct way to do it would be to attach
the straps before the mast is completely lowered (and still attached to the
crane). Our boat's manual says: "NB: Before proceeding, be sure to attach the
deck collar tie-down straps to the mast below deck." This note appears at the
point where the weight of the mast is transferred from the crane to the step.

best,

--
Sébastien Lemieux
Merlot X, C&C 30-2 1988

> On Aug 2, 2016, at 12:30 , Tom Alessi via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> This is my first season sailing  after a season on the hard doing repairs.
> When the yard re-stepped the mast the holes on the metal straps that bolt
> through the mast no longer align. The holes on the mast are lower by 3/8". As
> part of the rehab I had removed the mast collar. so I initially thought that
> I used too much caulking in the installation. I removed the collar and
> scrapped away all the caulking but the holes are still off. I wasn't there
> when the yard had originally took out the mast so I'm not sure if there was
> anything under the mast causing it to be slightly higher. I'm relunctant to
> drill a new set of holes.
>   Any advice would be appreciated.
> Thx
>
> Tom Alessi
> S/V ANDIAMO
> C&C 36, 1980
> Rockaway Bch, NY
> 646-283-1580
> tagraph...@optonline.net <applewebdata://9F7B68A4-0B76-4CFB-A16F-40DB02726BD3>
>
> This list is supported by the generous donations of our members. If you like
> what we do, please help us pay for our costs by donating. All Contributions
> are greatly appreciated!

greatly appreciated!