The US Sailing rules reference the ISAF Equipment Rules of Sailing.
ERS defines a spinnaker pole in F.1.4 (d) (i) as:

> A spar attached to the mast spar to set a spinnaker.

Similarly a whisker pole as:

> A spar attached to the mast spar and a headsail clew.

So while the US Sailing rules do not mention the mast attachment
point it is covered by the ERS definition of a spinnaker ( or whisker ) pole.

I take the interpretation ( which may differ by region ) that the broad
meaning of an outrigger is anything projecting past the hull or deck
used to push out a sheet or sail. That would include hands, feet,
boat hooks, fishing rods or a pole not attached to the mast.

Michael Brown
Windburn
C&C 30-1