In my limited experience with jacklines, I've always used a double tether
system like Kevin described where you clip to the jackline to move around
but clip the other tether to a fixed point when possible.  Having two
tethers on your harness at all times seems preferable to having tethers
stashed around the deck.

I've always used flat rather than twisted jacklines.  Agree with others
that twisted seems like it would increase the risk of tripping.  I've never
had a problem grabbing a flat jackline off the deck, and even if it took a
couple seconds more, that seems like a worthwhile trade off as long as
you're always clipped to something (which relates back to the double tether
system).

Sam
35-3 Scoundrel
SF

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 10:01 AM, Kevin Driscoll via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> The J42 I race on has extra tethers at the bow and mast for double
> clipping in. I see how they would work in theory, but in practice I wasn't
> a fan. Since I have a double tether (short and long), when at the mast and
> it's bumpy I leave my long tether on the jackline and clip my short one to
> a strong point at the mast. Likewise, when on the bow, I found that the D
> ring I wanted to clip in to (on my short lead) was occupied by the extra
> tether that was left up there. This extra tether (on the bow) also fouled a
> bit during sail changes. On the way out of San Francisco for the Pacific
> Cup Race* this year, winds were rarely below 30 kts (but not gusty) and
> large seas that were very confused. Neither myself nor the other fore-deck
> guy used the extra tethers once that I know of.
>
> Re: High Jacklines. I don't see how high jacklines would not be a nuisance
> during sail changes and I think they would preclude flying a spinnaker,
> certainly dip pole gybes. I also don't believe a pulpit to be a worthy
> strong point and any of our boats. In the event that someone were thrown
> and loaded the jackline, I would assume the additional leverage created by
> having a jackline tied to the pulpit above the deck would quite likely rip
> the pulpit out of the deck (many pulpits are not through bolted) or at the
> very least bend it back and slacken all of the lifelines. It doesn't sound
> like a best practice to me though I could see the convenience if bending
> down to pick up a jackline is becoming troublesome.
>
> Just my modest experience and opinion....
>
> Kevin
> 30-2
>
> *We dropped out the Pacific Cup because salt water contaminated our fresh
> water supply. Keep and eye on your water tank vents when the going is
> really rough!
>
> Here is a compelling video from J46 Riva
> <https://rivaracechronicle.blogspot.com/>, another boat at our club
> (Portland Yacht Club) who was also in the Pacific Cup race this year. Riva
> had a medical emergency ~1/2 way to Hawaii. The situation was handled
> professionally by all involved and the crew member recovered before the
> finish. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFwvOv7Lluc&;
> feature=em-upload_owner

greatly appreciated!