Rick,

I can understand losing the shape advantage with a tri-radial while furled
but double check about a bi-radial. A bi-radial should have nearly the same
shape furled or unfurled but would have the advantage of aligning the
fibers in the direction of stress (diagonally luff to clew) hopefully
eliminating any bias stretch...theoretically.

http://img.nauticexpo.com/images_ne/photo-g/25615-454011.jpg

I have also found that in my area (middle Chesapeake Bay) my 145 rarely
needs furled. We just don't get too many days consistently over 10kts.

Something else which may not have come up in discussion is the material
used for a padded luff. Many sailmakers default to a foam pad. It is my
opinion that these foams collapse and take on a set as a result of being
rolled or folded up during storage. Consider asking the sailmaker about
using a rope/series of ropes in the pocket instead of foam.

FWIW: I'm not convinced that the sailmakers necessarily have your best
interests in mind. The sooner your sail fails the sooner they get more
business.

Here's some reading material from Practical Sailor.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8pEh5lnvP1yakFDZERscXFTaUE

Josh

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016, 12:48 PM Rick Brass via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> Interesting that you should mention furling. I’ve always considered roller
> furling to be about the same as roller reefing. But they are not the same
> thing to a sailmaker.
>

> I had a follow up discussion with a sailmaker for Ullman this morning and
> we discussed how much I might be reefing the headsail. Recall that I had
> planned on a 135 reefable to about 100. He indicated that they don’t
> recommend tri-radial construction for a reefing headsail because the shape
> advantage disappears. And for coastal cruising and durability, they
> recommend using one of the high modulus Dacrons over laminates.
>

> Rick Brass
>
> Washington, NC

greatly appreciated!