Some of the winches in the PS article shifted speed automatically!  How
cool!  I get the 2 speed winches and I assumed 3 speed had a button or
clutch or something. When I heard 4 speed I thought, "Well now that's just
silly.". That was until they explained the auto function!  I can't justify
new winches but boy if I could...

Are you replacing because of a problem?  Many things on a winch can be
repaired and if not ebay regularly has all manner of winches for sale.  If
you're looking to make the work easier then you might just consider longer
handles.  They are cheap by comparison.  Changing so you can have
self-tailers?  Get the winch mates.  Changing because you feel like it?
Since there is no problem with what you have nothing will be cost
effective, go all out and get the 4 speed autos.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD
On Aug 25, 2016 11:09 PM, "Bob McLaughlin via CnC-List" <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> The August issue of Practical Sailor has a review on winches. The new
> 4-speed winches from Pontos sound very interesting, up to 18:1 gear ratio,
> well more than twice any others.
>
> Bob McLaughlin
> C&C 110 "Blue Devil"
>

> On Aug 25, 2016, at 9:34 PM, Rjcasciato via CnC-List <
> cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>
> Hoping there is some help and advice out there among the group.
>

> I’m going to replace my primary winches on Impromptu over the winter.
> Currently, I have a pair of Barient 38ST’s.  While I think it would be nice
> to try a 3 speed…….I’m sure that price is prohibitive.
>

> So given the size of the current winches………….who has had some good
> experience with other manufacturers and keeping value in mind, any
> recommendations.
>

> The boat is used primarily for PHRF racing………but like most of , the crew
> is aging gracefully………..and I’d like to keep it that way.
>

> Thanks for your input and insight.
>

> Ron C.
>
> Impromptu
>
> C&C 38MKIIC…..’77

> like what we do, please help us pay for our costs by donating. All
> Contributions are greatly appreciated!

> like what we do, please help us pay for our costs by donating. All
> Contributions are greatly appreciated!

greatly appreciated!