In our winter and spring series, the RC gets a bullet for serving. It is In
the last 4 years since I've been involved I haven't known of any trouble
securing an RC boat, even on the coldest and wettest of circumstances.
Technically serving as RC for one race is 'mandatory,' but there are always
more crews that would like to volunteer (and grab a bullet) than there are
weekends available. An RC boat not showing for duty would be scandalous in
the community I would think. Never heard of it happening here.

An alternative to getting a boat out is the option of assembling RC on a
dock or pier and running the race from there. This is an option to RC crews
in our series that I've seen a handful of times in the last few years.

I would say getting an average of your other scores is not enough carrot,
IMO.

Kevin,
Portland
C&C 30mkII