"So if the inverter is floating and has no ground you cannot get a ground
fault shock. If there is a ground wired in you could get a shock but the
GFCI should trip. Maybe having the GFCI in is a good thing in that if there
was a defect in the load you would never know it without a ground. With
it the GFCI would keep tripping letting you know something is wrong."

Michael, As you stated the GFCI is comparing the current on both the hot
and neutral.  When a difference is sensed it trips the GFCI.  You mentioned
that without a ground the GFCI won't trip.  2 thoughts come to mind.
First, without a ground, the GFCI won't trip during a "test".  The
pushbutton connects a high resistance to the ground prong creating a leak
path for current so in that case you're completely right the GFCI won't
trip.  Second, the GFCI is still sensitive to a difference in current
between hot and neutral.  You can wire a GFCI ungrounded and it will still
trip during a fault.  You need a leak path.  Most GFCI outlets are
sensitive to 5mA.  The idea that the inverter is using an ungrounded system
and as a result, you won't trip the GFCI sounds synonymous with the idea
that since I'm wearing rubber shoes, standing on carpet, in a wood frame
house I won't get shocked by the hot.  I can tell you from experience, you
will get shocked!

All of this discussion about floating AC actually gets me thinking about
whether or not the GFCI outlet has a disconnect on both the hot and neutral
lines.  Even if the GFCI trips the neutral prong may still be connected to
the neutral wire which in a home isn't a problem, but with a floating AC
system you could still be exposed to voltage.  We had problems similar to
this while on Navy ships.  The crew had bought generic computer surge
protectors which all needed replaced with high dollar ones since the
generic ones only protect the hot terminal.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD