Hi Charlie

I would like to first say that our family had a 1981 C&C 36 since new for nine
years.  However we rarely flew the spinnaker on it, never raced and I do not
recall ever gybing.  That said I did feel that it was a big powerful boat at
the time.

On our boats we have always done end for end because it is simpler and faster.
Initially on our Niagara 26 we did dip pole (because I knew no other way) and
it was slow and un-necessary and we switched to end for end.  We carried this
over to the J/27 as well.  We have always sailed with just one sheet/guy on
either side.  In the Frers fleet however at 33 feet LOA dip pole starts to
become more common and half the boats use separate sheets and guys and some do
dip pole when the wind pipes up.  We have stayed with end for end and one set
of lines because it is easier and because I have no intention of flying the
chute when it is truly windy.  On a friend’s C&C33-2 the pole has ends that
only allow dip pole and they are considering changing so they can do end for
end. With the C&C 115 we were always dip pole.  The pole is set up so only that
is possible.

From what I understand after a certain size dip pole is not only much safer but
just about all that is possible.  I would think that a C&C 36 is pretty much
approaching that size with its masthead rig and relatively large J.

On our boat I often end up doing foredeck (because we have a lot of people
capable of doing the other jobs).  There are usually two factors that make an
end for end gybe difficult.  The first is the driver turning before the mast
end is made which puts excessive pressure on the pole and can make completing
the gybe nearly impossible.  The second is when the person on the new guy
sheets it in too soon putting pressure on the mast end.  As it gets windier
both of these situations become more difficult to resolve

On the C&C 115 I was on main.  Of course like many main trimmers I would too
often watch the foredeck rather than my sail.  Dip pole required a good mast
man along with a good bow man and they had to be in sync.  With the extra line
we very frequently managed to wrap the new guy around the jaws rather thn
allowing it to move freely.  Many times we did not have smooth gybes as a
result.  From this perspective end for end would be much simpler

If the 36 were my boat and we were used to end for end I would stick with that
up til 8 knows with single sheet and guy and then dip pole with double
sheet/guy above that.  This would make for the quickest gybes IMO

Mike