From: Dennis C. via CnC-List
Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2016 5:46 PM
To: CnClist
Cc: Dennis C.
Subject: Stus-List Spin Halyard Parking Cleat

My suggestion about the spin halyard parking cleat was to stimulate ideas for
holding a halyard on the mast.  In my opinion, the best solution for the
original post is still a rope clutch.

The parking cleat is simply that.  A fitting to "park" a halyard "temporarily"
while the crew tidies up and the pit person can remove the slack and
"permanently" stop the halyard with a cabin top rope clutch.  It is designed to
release when tensioned from the pit.  Remember, the spin halyard is hoisted by
hand.  The load can't be huge because the mast person wouldn't be able to hoist
it.

Jib halyards are more likely tensioned by a cabin top or mast mounted winch,
not by hand.  Thus they probably have more load.

Genoa and main sheet loads can be calculated here:

http://www.harken.com/Calculators/

Although no halyard load calculator was found, I found a reference to a Harken
rep's reply to a sailor that they use 90-100% of clew load for halyards.  Just
as an example, a 300 sq. ft. genoa will generate 520 pounds of load in 20 knots
of breeze.  That exceeds the 300 lb spec of a Harken 150 cam cleat.

Again, a spin parking block and a system to stop a genoa halyard are different
uses.  A bracket for a larger cam cleat for higher loads might not be that
difficult to make.  However, it will still be limited by the working load of
the cam cleat and the shear strength of the fasteners.

Dennis C.