Steve,  it's been a while since I unstepped my mast but I do remember that
there is a keel bolt located under the aluminum plate.   If I remember
correctly the "box" is what appears to be wood glassed to the hull.   If it
were my boat I'd unstep the  mast and make the repairs.   I know that isn't
what you want to heat but given some of the problems I've had with my boat over
the years I recommend a complete and thorough inspection.   I'll be interested
in hearing what you find.

Mike Brannon
Virginia Lee. 93295
1978 C&C 36 CB