Boatyards are a different animal in Florida for a couple of reasons.

First is that almost no one stores boats in boat yards because of the weather
and because waterfront property is too expensive to make it work economically.

To make a boat yard profitable, there has to be a steady turnover of vessels
and enough repairs so tradesmen will pay the yard big bucks to locate in the
yard. The rigger in the corner of the yard will get much of the mast work, for
example.

In many yards, you are required to use the in-house tradesmen and you are not
allowed to do any significant work yourself.

Another reason for this is environmental. Florida gets much of its drinking
water from aquifers a few feet below the surface. Sloppy amateur work pollutes
the aquifers with sanded off bottom paint, for example.

There are still a few yards that allow DIY, but they are disappearing. The one
I plan to use this spring allows you to do your projects as long as they paint
the bottom.

It's not a bad deal, actually. You used to have to buy the bottom paint at a
huge markup. The current price for a bottom job is only a couple of hundred
more, and they do all the nasty work.

Jack Brennan
Tierra Verde, Fl.
Former C&C 25