(C&C 35, Mark I)
"Corsair"
White Lake, Michigan

On 2/13/2017 5:39 PM, ahycrace via CnC-List wrote:
The maststep on liberty is cast stainless heavy yes but very strong why would any of them be made of anything else? 1976 mk ll

-------- Original message --------
From: Dreuge via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Date: 2/13/17 11:01 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Dreuge <dre...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Deteriorated mast step (LF38 replacement)

Broken mast steps are a know problem for Landfall 38s. When I unstepped my mast, the old step lifted out in two halves.

Wally Bryant describes having a new one fabricated and welded together. I spoke to a welder about having a similar one fabricated, and was advised to have one CNC milled from a solid block as it was a "set it and forget it" operation whereas welding was going to be labor intensive. I did some of the leg work myself, and in the end spent about $300 for a new fabricated step. I have a write up online which includes a CAD drawing that was used to create the CNC step file.

http://svjohannarose.blogspot.com/search/label/MastStep

-
Paul E.
1981 C&C 38 Landfall