Fred, I agree.  In fact, I'm more in support of the tablets and other not
"purpose built" solutions.  I'm working daily to fully develop my open
source OpenPlotter running on a rasberry pi.  I've only spent ~$200.

My poorly stated point was that no matter what you are using to aid
navigation, safety is predicated on the seamanship of the operator and
sailing has inherent risk.

Josh