The options available today are numerous but the old Mark 1 Mod 1 eyeball
is still the best navigation device.

In the early 70's the US Navy ship I was on had LORAN.  On one particular
night, as we steamed into Hong Kong, the LORAN was inoperable.  Right after
a watch change, the oncoming officer of the deck saw a lighthouse disappear
behind a point of land.  He didn't think that was correct.  He quickly
consulted the paper chart, referenced several other lights by color and
flash  frequency and came to the conclusion we weren't where we thought we
were.  He ordered an immediate course reversal and summoned the Captain and
the head navigator.

Had we continued on the course we were on, we may have entered Communist
Chinese waters.  Had it not been for an alert officer and his eyeball, I
might have been part of an international incident.

Hail the eyeball and paper charts!

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA