You probably should have mentioned that to use the high voltage method of
attempted recovery safely, it is necessary to use some sort of current limiting
device. I am guessing that your variable supply had that built in, but not all
do.

In the early days of radio, some amateurs would use electrolytic rectifiers
made from a strip of sheet aluminum and the carbon rod from a #6 dry cell
immersed in a bath of baking soda. The rectifier thus constructed was hooked up
directly to the 110 volt ac with a light bulb in series as a current limiter
and used to charge batteries. Not exactly CSA/UL approved, and "extremely
disagreeable" to have around, according to contemporary accounts.

Steve Thomas
C&C27 MKIII
Port Stanley, ON.

---- Michael Brown via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
That should be Caustic Soda, not Baking Soda.

If a battery in otherwise good shape has self discharged to the point of being
flat has
a bit of Epsom Salt or such added it might help recover the battery. No magic
going
on. With a flat battery it is hard to get a current flow started and the cells
may not
respond equally. A small amount of some metallic salt will allow charging and
help
with equal charging.

I have used a variable power supply to recover a new but flat AGM. They were
left
uncharged for about 3 years. It required around 30v to get a 0.05 amp charge
started, which gradually became 0.1 amps at around 20v after a couple of days.
Out of three dead AGM two have recovered and I was able to run a discharge /
normal charge test on them. The other AGM only recovered to 10.4v after sitting
idle, one cell never charged.

Michael Brown
Windburn
C&C 30-1