Agreed, being very familiar with how your equipment works and regularly
inspecting it for soundness is good practice.  The middle of an emergency is
not the time to figure out how your gear works....
Anecdotes (or case studies) are data points that provide qualitative data.  It
is correct that by themselves they cannot predict the odds of any one person
perishing (or surviving) in a MOB incident.  That is done with group data.
However, any given data point can provide information on the issues involved in
any one case perishing or surviving.  So when crew from Wingnuts died several
years ago in the Chicago-Mac Race, the odds of that accident happening could
have been best predicted by the group data, but that group data would tell us
little to nothing about why that particular accident occurred or why those
particular crew members perished.  Identifying the issues in specific cases can
help lead to new research as well as advances in policies, procedures,
equipment development, etc.

    On Thursday, March 30, 2017 9:04 AM, Bill Bina - gmail via CnC-List