Expansion will occur when moisture and ferrous metals react through
rusting. Do the 29's of these years have a cast iron core?  If so, the
moisture will cause the iron to corrode and be very serious.  An example of
this is when concrete reinforced slabs develop cracks sufficient to allow
water to penetrate to the rebar.  Over time, the slab will fail as an
integral unit.

Bill Dakin
25MKII

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 12:35 PM, Eugene Fodor via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> I have a crack at my hull/keel joint and am debating filling it with 4200.
> It is no significant and as I understand it this is pretty normal for boats
> with an external keel. My concern is that since my boats up north in
> Wisconsin and spends a good amount of time frozen, I'm wondering if filling
> it might actually cause expansion if any water gets down the keel bolt and
> through the cracks. One of my keel bolts has had this problem which I
> mitigated through drilling a hole on each side of the bulge, epoxy fill and
> some vigorous hammering. Thoughts?
>
> Gene Fodor
> "Hawk"
> C&C 29-2 84-85