That is true, one carries the penalty both upwind and down.  If the course is
OM vs. W/L then the penalty is even more severe since upwind is only 40% of the
race.RonWild CheriC&C 30-1STL

      From: Dennis C. via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
 To: CnClist <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Dennis C. <capt...@gmail.com>
 Sent: Wednesday, May 3, 2017 12:42 PM
 Subject: Re: Stus-List Sail advice - 1, 2 , 3 go

The first time we raced the Gulfport Pensacola race in 2000, we had the 170 and
6 second penalty.  We carried the 170 for the first 5-6 miles, changed down to
a 155 for about 10 miles more out to the Gulfport sea buoy.  Once we rounded
the sea buoy, we set the chute and carried the chute AND the 6 second penalty
for the next 85 miles.
The next week I pulled the 170 off the boat and re-filed for a max 155% genoa
certificate.  Never looked back.
Dennis C.Touche' 35-1 #83Mandeville, LA