You can buy a 3/8" mid tech line like MLX Samson or Novabraid Argus and strip
(taper) the cover to Match the wire rope length of the original.  A 3/8"
blended core line will out perform the Dacron halyard with regards to strength
and stretch and the narrow core will work in your wire sheave as long as the
sheave isn't completely chewed up by worn out wire.
The cost of Splicing wire to rope will offset the cost of the more expensive
rope.  And the entire halyard will weigh half as much and reducing weight aloft
is always a good thing for racing or cruising.
Chuck Gilchrest
S/V Half Magic
1983 35 Landfall
Padanaram MA