While out for a lovely day sailing Saturday we noted that the electric head was
not draining properly.  When I checked it seems like the motor was straining
and may need replacement.  Afterward when motoring back to our club we noted
some issues with wind instrument and then chart plotter.  Checking voltage
meter revealed a reading of nothing on house bank and 13 volts on starter
battery.  Back at dock with shore power connected and charger on the voltage
was over 12v and all systems and head functioning normally.  Next morning with
Charging turned off the house batteries showed full charge and all was working.

A very quick check revealed no loose belts and alternator was at least
spinning.  I was in the middle of a different project that had to be done while
it was not raining so left it there for now (installing new genoa tracks).

What is the best place to start?

Engine is Yanmar 3GM30F

Mike
Persistence