Standard alternator has in internal regulator.  I'd disconnect from shore
power and then run a load on the batteries - frig, 12 volt motor etc.
Check voltage.  Start engine, look for a jump in voltage.

Or I'd just pull the alternator and take it to be tested.  Non OEM
alternators are cheap.

Joel

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 9:22 AM, Hoyt, Mike via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> While out for a lovely day sailing Saturday we noted that the electric
> head was not draining properly.  When I checked it seems like the motor was
> straining and may need replacement.  Afterward when motoring back to our
> club we noted some issues with wind instrument and then chart plotter.
> Checking voltage meter revealed a reading of nothing on house bank and 13
> volts on starter battery.  Back at dock with shore power connected and
> charger on the voltage was over 12v and all systems and head functioning
> normally.  Next morning with Charging turned off the house batteries showed
> full charge and all was working.
>

> A very quick check revealed no loose belts and alternator was at least
> spinning.  I was in the middle of a different project that had to be done
> while it was not raining so left it there for now (installing new genoa
> tracks).
>

> What is the best place to start?
>

> Engine is Yanmar 3GM30F
>

> Mike